Author: Faith Ringgold
Illustrator: Faith Ringgold
Publisher: Random House
Awards: Caldecott Honor book (1992)
Topics: picture book, Harlem, urban life, African American, imagination, flying, city life, Washington Bridge
Summary: From the Harlem rooftops, a young girl dreams of flying over her urban home.
- Tar Beach from Guggenheim Collection
- Fly. In the story, Cassie imagines she can fly. Where would you fly? What would you see?
- Google Earth. The book takes place in Harlem. Fly over Harlem using Google Earth. Do does it look like and unlike the pictures in the book? Where would like to fly? Take a virtual trip, then write your own book.
- The Quilt. Examine the artwork from the Guggenheim museum. The book was based on this piece of artwork. Create your own.
- Tar Beach. Why was the book called Tar Beach? What's a tar beach?
Do a Thinkfinity search for lessons related to this book.